Friday, November 12, 2010

Good news everyone

I'll just let The Professor! do the honors:
Sry, it cuts off slightly before the end, but making a new clip would be too much of a hassle
So ya,  I managed to delete all of my movies, and thanks to Columbia University, I wont be able to redownload them till I go to my uncle's this Thanksgiving. Luckily for you, my loyal follower, I now have more free time to blog, and review movies I have seen recently. Or...I could mind my studies "Oh, boy my studies!" (the relevant bit is at 1:28, but watch the whole thing, as it is truly hilarious)
So ya,  I won't go into detail aboot how I managed to bring upon this most traumatic event, as I am not one to live in the past....though all the movies are made in the past....and I watch them and rate them on their quality, and thus am in some way living in the past.
O well, there is no way round hypocrisy, unless you avoid it.

And still i pee i mean type. (another reference to hyperlinked youtube video)

So the last movie  I watched before the fateful event was:


Daybreakers (2009)- It was actually filmed in 2007, but came out two years later to its misfortune, because, well, it's about vampires. And since it was released after Twilight and after True Blood and all the other vampire stuff that was coming out, it got sorta pushed to the back of the pack. But as Underworld and Underworld 2 taught me, that there are also awesome vampire movies. Though maybe those were epic because of Kate Beckinsale......and Bill Nighy is also superb.
Opposite ends...
of the spectrum of awesome


Btw his filmography is wrong on rottentomatoes, it is missing  Ready When You Are, Mr. McGill, a hilarious Brittish film, that I happened to catch half of in Estonia on tv. That movie was soooo great, and for some reason it does not exist in torrent or dvd form anywhere that I know of. So if anybody can help me with that, that would be...
Greaaaaat

Well I am just waaaay off topic....from vampires to Office Space in a paragraph and a half; amazing.

So back to Daybreakers. So it's a world where a disease apparently caused people to turn into vampire. Now the vampires rule the world, and humans have been hunted into almost extinction, because of the need of their blood. Ethan Hawke is in the lead role, a solid actor, who believe it or no, isn't a cop in this movie, unlike Training Day, Brooklyn's Finest, Assault on Precinct 13. So ya, he is a vampire, named.....Edward. ARGH! I know, it's terrible, but this movie was made before Twilight. And this Edward is much cooler. He is researching to find a blood substitute, and not so much as so the vampires won't starve, but more so that humans wont be hunted. It also stars some lady I haven't heard of *I'm being told that her name is Claudia Karvan*, William Dafoe with a weird accent that makes him creepier, as if that were possible. Also that guy from Jurrasic Park, the one with the cowboy hat, Sam Neill. I thought he was dead or sth.

I'm totally alive....well sort of

The movie starts off fantastic, the dark and gloomy city (since vampires can't be out during sunlight). It shows what a world might be like with the cold immortals ruling the world. Cars have a daytime mode, where all the windows are covered, and one steers the vehicle via HUD in the car connected to cameras on the outside.
The first half of the movie has good atmosphere and seems quite unique (well...maybe Underworld had a similar atmosphere). BUT it sort of changes into a different movie halfway through. It suddenly gets very violent and action-y. The plot doesn't fall apart completely, but the atmosphere and uniqueness are completely forgotten.

An interesting note in this movie is the special effects.  A lot of them are fine, in the sense they aren't obviously noticeable as special effects. But then there are a few that look like bad sci-fi movie effects, like blood in some scenes.

First half of the movie, I'd give an 8, maybe even a 9. But the second half is so mediocre, not terrible, just not all that good, that the final rating is:

7
imdb: 6.6
rt: 68% (fan vote: 50%)

No comments:

Post a Comment