Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Oscars 2011

So that happened. I didn't watch it, but I did check out the winners and I am glad that Inception got more Oscar's than The Social Network. There were plenty of no-duh's and a few surprises.

The performance awards were the same as anywhere else: 
Leading actor Colin Firth because he is really good at stammering.
Leading actress Natalie Portman (w00t!), because she danced ballet
Supporting actor Christian Bale (w00t again!) because he did a lot of crack
Supporting actress Melissa Leo, because she played Bale's mother and is even more unlikable than that crackhead

Though with the last one, not to say Leo didn't deserve it, maybe it should have gone to Hailee Steinfeld for True Grit, but that's not a big deal. 

Best Director- the dude for King's Speech. BOO! Give it to Aronofsky, damnit!

Creepy mustache or creepiest mustache?

On the topic of facial hair, Christian Bale wins


Matching hair and beard color is sooooo mainstream!


He looks like a lumberjack ax-murderer. A great role for him, considering his previous experience:

Most up-beat murder I know of


Best original screenplay- The King's Speech. BOOOOOOOOOO! That movie is all about the acting, the script is booooring. Have the lead played sub-par'ly and you have a giant piece of crap. Give the Oscar to Inception, because even with meh acting it was still a fantastic movie.


Sound editing, mixing n stuff- Inception of course. It had the most memorable score, and there for got the Oscar for best original score, owaitsocialnetworkgotitinsteadwtf!?

I mean, how can you not give original score to Inception as well?
Has the Academy forgotten the BRAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWRRRMMMMM


That should have also been nominated for best original song. Not the whole song, just that one note.

uhhh...
Best animated- Toy Story 3 obviously


hmmmmm....
Now, I am not an expert on movie editing, but even I can see that Scott Pilgrim had some amazing editing.  The best by far. And I'm not saying that because I love the movie anyway. But apparently it wasn't good enough to get nominated. Le shame.


And best picture. Glad The Social Network didn't win, but also unfortunate that The King's Speech did. Didn't really like either. 

Who should have won? 

Toy Story 3 of course. That is a silly question. But if I were to choose the most Oscar-y movie that should have won, I would have gone with The Fighter. And on that note, here is my personal order of favorites and a bit about why.




1. Toy Story 3- The plot is more complex and with more ups and downs emotionally than the first one (which is #17 on my all-time best list for those of you who don't remember). But I like the first one more, mostly due to nostalgia. Also, the fact that the other toys still don't listen to Woody is ridiculous. 
10/10





2. Black Swan- Psychological thrillers are awesome. I haven't seen too many, but I did see two last year which were both great Shutter Island and this. I've always liked Portman and she was great in this. Mila Kunis did her role of sexy free-spirit really well also. The ending, like in most thrillers is very important, and The Black Swan's was a little bit too "huh?" I understood what happened, but I was also like how! why?
Also, the whole "that would be great if I was only casting the white swan, but I am not. I am also casting the black swan," was uttered waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many times. I think it was said about....hmmm....75000 times, though I am bad with estimation.
And why I wouldn't say it is the best picture over The Fighter, is that it doesn't have substance, any deep drama. It's just one person going crazy, which is awesome.

 9/10





3. Inception- BRAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWRRRMMMMM!

Also, the plot is complex, though not as much as people suggest. DiCaprio is awesome, Joseph Gordon Lewitt is as well. And Ellen Page. Everyone has seen it by now, so I won't go into detail. BUT the plot is a bit convoluted at times (really 10 years?!, when you did it in like an hour.....wouldn't there have been a good middle ground, like a month or something?)  and the ending could have been a bit more open-ended, though I liked what he tried to do. Chrisopher Nolan is my favorite director doing original shit, yo!
9/10




4. The Fighter- Compelling drama. Getting to be a bit old boxer is in a bad situation. Brother's a dug deal, mother's also a terrible person who cares more about the older brother. Mark Wahlberg doesn't say much throughout the film, but when he does, he delivers his lines well. The supporting characters are all great, hence why they all got nominated. The ending is a very Hollywood-esque fairy tale one, but since it is based on a true story, its not something you can deduct for.
9/10




5. The Kid's Are All Right- Already posted about this. Just reference that.
8/10




6. 127 Hours- Very well done, considering it is just a dude trapped for 127 hours. James Franco does unusually well, so good for him. The hand severing was pretty gruesome. But knowing that he does cut off his arm and escape alive sorta ruins the movie. There is very little tension because of that knowledge, which is unfortunate.
7/10





7. True Grit- I love the Coen brothers' films, I really do. And this is not their greatest work. They proved they can do sirius things with Best Picture No Country For Old Men. Unfortunately, this movie left me underwhelmed. Even with it's lack of tension, 127 Hours, still left me whelmed. 
The acting is still great.  But the plot had its issues. The confrontation with the man the group is hunting is soooooo anti-climactic as is the ending. The journey there was great, but in the ended I felt a bit cheated.
7/10





8. The Social Network- I felt terrible for using facebook after watching this. If the film is accurate, then Mark Zuckerberg is the worst human being ever, besides murderers and rapists of course. But I seem to be the only one to really feel this way. Other people don't seem to have stolen the facebook idea. It is pretty straightforward that he did. And he stabbed his best friend in the back, which was terrible. The movie following this terrible person and trying at times to make him feel sympathetic just bothered me. The last line "you're not an asshole, you're just trying to hard to be one." I was just shaking my head after that- no, he is an asshole. He was really smart/witty in how he answered the lawyers, but he was still a jerk. Can't root for someone like that.
The biggest thing I got out of this movie is that Justin Timberlake is a surprisingly good actor. He's been in multiple other things, but he hasn't stood out in those. In this one he did great.
7/10




9. The King's Speech- Colin Firth is amazing. Stammers really well. Geoffrey Rush was also very good. But it is still just about a king getting over a speech impediment. At least the main character is likable and you root for him. But the stakes just don't seem all that high. I am amazed they made it as interesting to watch as they did.
7/10


10. Winter's Bone- Didn't care enough to see it.


So there you have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment