Thursday, February 17, 2011

All right already!

The toy king's 3rd speech (titled "Social black swan fighter network! " on the 127th hour in this truly gritty winter was all right...... .Inception!

So I guess I hinted at it enough, I am starting the process of watching all the Oscar nominees for best picture before the show in two weeks. I have already seen Black Swan, Inception, and Toy Story 3. I don't have much interest in Winter's Bone, so I'll probably skip that one. This leaves me with 6 films.

I started with



The Kids Are All Right

It's a comedy with some drama. Probably the most light-hearted movie out of the Oscar nominees for the most part. The children of lesbian couple seek out their sperm donor aka their dad. This movie shows that even a non-traditional family still has issues, like any other.
Annette Bening and Julian Moore play the moms. Initially, their romance thing was in your face. I was like, I get it, they're lesbians. I guess maybe I'm a prude on the inside, but whatever- luckily that didn't persist. Moore's character is sort of the free-spirit, doesn't have a consistent job, etc whilst Annette Bening is the somewhat uptight, strict worker. Her performance reminded me of her role in American Beauty. She is not a very nice person or likable really, but in the end you see her more sensitive side.
The dad is played by Mark Ruffalo, who is a cool dude. And he plays a cool dude, who rides a motorcycle,  owns a restaurant and has his own organic garden.
The children didn't really seem that important in the movie. The daughter, played by Mia W-something polish-ska (who played Alice in Tim Burton's wonderland film) is decent. The son however, who is named Laser (yes, weird names and handwritten opening credits....seems sorta like indie movie design here), is odd. I don't really understand what they wanted from that character.

The way everyone interacted was realistic. Especially the scene when the kids meet their dad for the first time. It is full of awkward pauses n stuff.


All in all, the performances were good and very believable. Especially the adult characters, the kids were ...wait for it... 
....
...
..
.
alright.
I. Am. Hilarious. 

Even Hugo Weaving agrees.




I didn't really like the ending, it was blandish and nothing really happened....


It is labeled a comedy, but there aren't really that many laugh out loud moments. But it isn't too serious to be a drama, it is like in between, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It wanted to show real life, and it did it realistically.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment