Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Music of 2010

Well, now that's it's February, I'll try to recap the previous year in entertainment/media and whatnot. Can't do movies unfortunately, since I have yet to see most of the award season movies.....actually I've only seen (out of the best picture nominees for the Oscars) Black Swan, Inception and Toy Story 3.

So I'll start with music. It was a very solid year, considering I broke out of my shell slightly, and got some albums of artists that a previously didn't have. I usually like to stick to a couple of bands, and don't have motivation to venture too far. Though I have yet to get over my laziness and listen to Daft Punk's new album.

So here are my top albums of the year, and some others too.




1. "Night Work" by the Scissor Sisters
Not a very mainstream band. I went to their concert in Estonia last summer and it was faaaaantastic. I actually liked them before I went, though didn't actually ahve any of their albums. "I Don't Feel Like Dancing" was their biggest hit, though it is not how I first heard of them. I saw a top 10 countdown of best covers on MTV UK or something in a hotel. And their cover of Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb" was on the list, and it is an amazing song. BUT neither of them are on this album. The Scissor Sisters have two other albums, which aren't that good to be honest (though they do have a few great songs). But this one is amazing. The songs are much more upbeat and noticeably different from their previous albums.. For almost all (except for like 2) of them, you can't help but bobbing your head along. They are pretty reminiscent of the Bee Gees, because the lead singer, Jake Shears, sings really really high in a lot of songs. Also they are all gay, especially Jake, who is the gayest man alive, according to one of the songs below....I'll let you guess which one I mean. And I guess the genre is electropop, according to iTunes atleast.

My favorites include:

Any Which Way
Something Like This
Harder You Get

Also this one has a pretty "interesting" music video, great song too:
Invisible Light

And this song also has a music video:
Fire With Fire

I like to use iTunes' 5 star rating system....using that the average is 3.19(6).



2. Plastic Beach- Gorillaz
Maybe this SHOULD have one, but my inner-hipster would not allow me to make such a mainstream album
the victor. Also, as great as it is, Plastic Beach is not their best album. All of them are very solid, but the best is probably Gorillaz which sadly, looking back now, doesn't win the best album for its year. Oddly, their weakest album, Demon Days, which is swill awesome, wins best album of 2005. So I let somebody else win this time. Their first album had the misfortune of coming out in 2001, but I'll get to that later. Each album of theirs are different, but not in a bad way.
The first single from the album is amaaaaazing.
Stlyo -heeey, who's that person in the video? Is that...? No!
With talks of beats in the later albums, this song definitly has the best beat. It is simple and constant, yet effective.

The whole album is solid, with diverse songs, though other than Sylo, there aren't any completely amazing songs, unlike the previous albums which had 3-4. It is much more balanced

Though it does have some very good songs like:
Empire Ants
Glitter Freeze
To Binge

And this also has a video:
On Melancholy Hill

And yes, the average is higher than the Scissor Sisters' album and is at: 4 exactly.


3. Sir Lucious Left Foot The Son of Chico Dusty- Big Boi
Big Boi is on of the members of Outkast. SO ya, I downloaded Outkast's previous albums. Why? Because they are rate incredibly high on metacritic. As is this album. Though it isn't as consistantly solid, it has 3 just amazing songs.
Tangerine
Turns Me On
Fo Yo Sorrow
Big Boi raps very well; smooth. The beats are also sick/sweet/ballin/banging/etc. The lyrics are also good, considering what the lyrics of rap and hip-hop usually are

Average is only 3.43


4. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy- Kanye
What's with these long titles?
Yes, I picked Big Boi over Kanye, eventhough everyone seems to think Kanye released the greatest album of all time. Of ALL TIME!
Though he is #4 on my list, so it is a very good album.  But like the Gorillaz album, it doesn't have anything amazing. But POWER  (the song is actually 4 min, but this shortened version captures the best part) and Monster are very, very good, the later not so much because of him, but rather Nicki Minaj.
Though one of the best lines go to him:

Have you ever had sex with a pharoah? I put the pussy in a sarcophagus.
Now she saying I bruise her esophagus.


Actually, Monster is amazing. If Jay-Z wasn't there it would be epic, but whatevs.

Other good songs include
Blame Game - mainly due to the long monologue by Chris Rock at the end
Runaway
Dark Fantasy


Overall, very good beats and rapping, but there is an issue with the lyrics. Pretty minor, but he sings in his songs, about the injustice towards black people and being in coach n stuff, but he is crazy famous, I really doubt he has any worries in his own life like that. Not saying it isn't tough for blacks with racism n stuff, but he makes himself out to be the victim.

Average: 3.82...and yes, a lot higher than Big Boi, but the best songs from Big Boi's album >>>>>. Kanye's



5. Imperfect Harmonies- Serj Tankian

I was quite disappointed, consider the Serj's first solo album, after SOAD split was awesome in so many ways.  This album isn't bad, it just isn't close to the level of the last album, though the last one was one of the best albums of all time (average of 4.25).

In this album he goes away from rock, and more towards the

Borders are...
Disowned Inc
Left of Center
Wings of Summer

are all very good.
No songs are spectacular, but it is a solid album

Average: 3.82. Which surprised me, because I don't think of this as such a great album.

Oh ya, some of you may be thinking, where is the other "best album ever"?
Well, I'm sorry to say, but Eminem's Recovery is the most disappointing thing all year. The rapping is sloppy. The lyrics aren't as fun/funny/ridiculously awesome. The previous album Relapse is considered his worst, but it still had some good beats, and ridiculous songs like Insane. Also, the beats are terrible in most songs.
The only really good songs are:
On Fire an amazing beat
Cold Wind Blows
and I guess WTP



Fun fact: the best album of all time, is Eminem's Marshall Mathers LP. Average rating: 4.79, almost perfect.

Such a solid year that there was actually 5 albums worth mentioning. Of course it is no 2001 which had:


2001

So it doesn't have 5 good albums, but it does have three amazing ones.

Toxicity- System of a Down (4.29)
Probably their best album; it is hard to choose between it and Steal This Album!. But this one has the nostalgia factor, since it is the firs talbum of theirs that I got.

Mutter- Rammstein (4.18)
Probably their best album, though Reise, Reise is also very very good.

Gorillaz- Gorillaz (4.18)
Their best album as well.

So there, that's an amazing top three. 2001 was a great year for music.



Wow, this was longer than expected

No comments:

Post a Comment