Saturday, February 12, 2011

Straight trickin' yo!

I don't usually buy games at launch, but when I do, those games are epic. And in this situation, the game was a game that I have actually mentioned before. From the creators of the 2nd greatest franchise of all time, Phoenix Wright:




Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective- I won't go into detail, except to say that it was totally worth the day one....well day three purchase. It will most likely contend for best of 2011. I guess it mostly depends on what Portal 2, Batman: Arkham City and Ms. Splosion Man are like.

But I will discuss 2010 in gaming, not so much the industry, but rather my favorite games. I don't play that many new games due to lack of funds. Last year was surprising though, since I did buy multiple new games.

Also, this post may be boring with the lack of pics and videos, but I have still not mastered the art of video capture for games, and though some are also on the PC, I don't feel like going through the trouble of screenshots and videos, so ya...

And here are the best of the best:





1. Comic Jumper: The Adventures of Captain Smiley- Twisted Pixel is officially the greatest game developer. Well, if the Fire Emblem series or Ace Attorney series had a more specific group of people, instead of just Nintendo and Capcom respectively, they'd get the award, but no. Twsited Pixel with The Maw, Spolsion Man, and this.... too awesome. 
This is probably the funniest game I have ever played, outright laugh out loud. The gameplay is pretty decent,- a side-scroller where you move with one analog stick, aim and shoot with the other. It was fun, and challenging at points, but really, the reason it is so awesome is the humor. There are four differently designed levels (different types of comics). One of them is the silver age, which is an older type of comic, so there are racist and sexist jokes. How great is that! Plus being completely confused in the Manga world at Hent High lolololololololololo!

10/10 And my favorite game of 2010.





2. Halo: Reach- Halo is an awesome franchise and it got even better. The addition of armor abilities is awesome. Armor Lock FTW! The campaigns story is actually coherent this time, and I can sorta understand whats going on. There was an achievement for beating it on the hardest difficulty on solo, which was actually very tough. But on some of the more difficult parts I was able to be a brave warrior and run away.
The multiplayer is still old Halo- fun as hell. Plus, I am a beast. Bungie went out with a bang

If they only had bots for offline multiplayer......

10/10





3. Plants vs Zombies- Well technically it was first released in 2009, but that was for the PC. The xbox version came out late this year, and since it does add some new things, so it isn't just a port, I decided to include it. Plus I get to actually talk about it. It is  (mostly) a tower defense game where you command a variety of plants and you must defend the house from the zombies. Pretty straightforward. There are also other mini-games that are very fun. 
The xbox version added multiplayer, both co-op and competitive. The co-op is stupid, because with another new mechanic, which I don't feel like explaining, it makes the game tooo easy. The competitive seems a bit imbalanced, favoring the zombies, but I didn't play it enough maybe.

 I don't deduct from a games score because of difficulty, unless it is ridiculous hard which makes it unplayable, but the only real flaw with this game is that it is too easy. Once you unlock some of the more powerful plants, the later campaign missions are easily beatable. I spend most of my time with endless survival (my record is 50 waves) that gets to be pretty intense eventually. And also other minigames that are "endless" like Vase Breaker and I, Zombie.

Also, the game went Portal style for the end credits, which is always awesome.

10/10


Colossus are awesome


4. Starcraft II- I haven't played the campaign, or the trials, and I'm bad at the main multiplayer game. I'm not an Real-time strategy kinda guy. But I understand why it is considered so great, so I gave it a 10. Trying to be objective here. But that doesn't mean I don't have fun with it. I play the custom games, like Star Battle (2-dimensional space combat.....doesn't actually make sense, but whatevs), Desert Strike (I don't know how to explain it....you build the buildings, and the units spawn at certain intervals), and Nexus Wars which I have renamed Sentry Wars (its like Desert Strike, except it can be won by just building one unit, the Sentry).

10/10
5. Ace Attorny Investigations: Miles Edgeworth- The next installment in the Ace Attorney series. Unfortunately, this doesn't have Phoenix Wright isn't in it, but there are other old characters who make cameos. This game is actually very different. There aren't technically any courtroom scenes, rather you walk around the crime scene and not point-and-click as with the others. You still get to interrogate witnesses 'n junk. Story wise it isn't as great as the others. So it is one of the weakest in this fantastic series, but the new gameplay is quite cool, so it gets bonus points and gets a higher rating than Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice For All.

The humor is still there, the story somewhat, the base gameplay. All in all, it's fantastic

There is a Miles Edgeworth 2 that currently tops the Japanese sales charts, so there is hope for it to come to America, YAY!

8.5/10



Didn't make the top five, but I still want to mention:
Record of Agarest War- First RPG I've played in a while. And man, is it crazy long! I thought I beat the final boss, but nooooooooo. The plot is typical with you trying to rid the world of evil. But if follows through 5 generations and at the end of each generation you choose from 3 women to be your bride, affecting the stats and looks of the offspring. The gameplay is like Final Fantasy Tactics, which gets a bit repetitive after like 10 battles. There are a shit-ton of different monsters; weapons and equipments to forge and find. It's ridiculous. Outside of battles there are events, where you read dialogue, which is something I have no problem with, consdiering I love Fire Emblem and Phoenix Wright games (yes, I mentioned them again) It is very sexed up, which of course is awesome. 

And there is one "lady's man" character that traverses the generations (this is possible, because the main hero is human, while the side characters in the party of different races who live longer) and he just generates hilarious dialogue when talking to lady's. Also, the heroes of the 3rd and 4h generation are also hilarious. This game gets a lot of bonus points for visuals.
FF- This got the runner up award on x360a.org for hardest achievement list of 2010.

This game is also getting a prequel or sequel or something later this year. Yay!

8.5/10


Other:


Bioshock 2- Actually, started just recently playing it. The shooting and plasmids have been improved from the first one. The environment is as great as ever. I am still unsure about the story, so that's why I haven't rated it yet. I also haven't really tried the multiplayer outside of one match. But the main things are still there, so considering I gave the first one a 10, this has the potential of a high rating.

Call of Duty: Black Ops-  Didn't play the campaign at all, but the multiplayer was really fun. Not the deathmatch so much, but the other game types.....I feel like I have discussed this before.





And the following games I really haven't played, but I bought them, more so for other people. I don't think they'll get too high of a rating though.

Perfect Dark and Scott Pilgrim vs The World






No comments:

Post a Comment