Thursday, January 13, 2011

I don't feel like coming up with a title


you ARE the DEMON (3:24-3:56) ....just watch the whole thing

WHY?!

Because WYNAUT!!!!`

Ahem....




5. Full Metal Jacket (1987) - Kubrick was like, da best. It's hard to pick a best movie from this, A Clockwork Orange (my #22), Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (my #24), The Shining, and 2001: A Space Odyssey ....for pretentious jerks.
The reason this is my favorite out of his movies, was the successful combination of sirius subject matter and great humor.
Like this:



Full Metal Jacket suffers from the opposite flaw as Scott Pilgrim: it doesn't end. It is divided into two parts: part one being boot camp, and part two the Vietnam War itself. This movie would probably be at the top of my list, in the one spot, if those parts were considered separate. The first half had great humor as shown before. As well as one of my favorite lines - the "jelly doughnut scene" that I have posted before, and shall do again:



But the first part ends dramatically and shockingly. The movie could have ended there. Of course it would have only been 45 min long, but epic nontheless.

The second half isn't bad, it's just mediocre. I am not a fan of war movies in general. Maybe similarly to my general dislike of mafia/mob movies that are so popular. I am not a fan of depicting such killers as "the good guys". There are exceptions like this.
The second half starts out strong with this scene, which has some very famous lines:




The rest is bland enough that there isn't much to talk aboot. Just showing the horrors of war 'n stuff.



All in all the epicness of the first overrides the second half, and it falls into the 5 spot.

...le sigh... so much potential

IMDB: 8.4
RT: 96%



4. Fight Club (1999) - Well unlike the previous movie, which has some serious undertones, this one.... not so much. It's just more a bunch of entertainment from beginning to end.

Features Edward Norton as an insurance guy who meets Brad Pitt and then his life gets flipturned upside down. Mahem ensues.
It has a lot of very well known lines. Especially the rules of fight club:



Also, Helena Bonham Carter is the love interest. Personally I think she's hot in a weird sorta way. In this movie atleast


Maybe I just have weird taste...


But I guess the hottest of the film has to go to Brad Pitt.


Now that's a man.


Or maybe Meatloaf instead?

BOOBIES!


This movie also has one of the greatest twist endings. The kind, unlike Usual Suspects, that you can watch the movie again to notice clues. Sadly, it was spoiled for me the first time I watched it, but it was still superb.


It tries to have some philosophical questions asked- the whole issue of people not living their life to the fullest, potential...... but I don't really care when watching this its just a fun, entertaining movie, with great actors.

IMDB: 8.8
RT: 81%

No comments:

Post a Comment