Saturday, January 15, 2011

Medalists


3. Léon (The Professional) (1994) -

So in true hypocritical fashion, where I don't like war movies and mobster films in the last post, because of the despicable protagonists, this movie is aboot a hitman Leon played by Jean Reno. It also features a 11-year old Natalie Portman.

Someone's crazy happy!
*This scene isn't in the theatrical cut.


And also there is Gary Oldman as the antagonist dirty cop. He is an enigma for me, as an actor. I am unable to recognize him in any film. I don't know it's him untill I look it up or sth. He looks so different in Nolan's Bataman movies, The Fifth Element and the lots of other stuff he's been in. Maybe it's just me.....

So Mathilda's (Portman) family gets murdered (not a spoiler, happens in the first 20 min....basically the introduction). So she seeks refuge with Leon and wants to also become an assassin like Leon to get revenge. It is an interesting relationship. In some aspects Leon is more of a child than Mathilda. Also, there is some odd sexual tension between them. Initiated more by Mathilda. This is more apparent in the director's cut.



It doesn't actually go thaaaat far.


Why this is so high on the list? I guess it's just because of its interesting, compelling story, great performance by all the leads (Jean Reno is badass to the max), and moments of great humor.



Interestingly, this movie has many references to A Clockwork Orange... also Full Metal Jacket. I guess Luc Besson (writer/director) liked Kubrick, as everyone should.

Sorry for the poorer quality. Also, I wanted to edit a couple of clips together to make like a Kubrick film v Leon comparison, but windows movie maker was being a bitch.

So all I have is text

Leon drinks lots of milk like Alex and his droogs in  A Clockwork Orange
Oldman's character mentions Beethoven an important figure in A Clockwork Orange
Mickey Mouse bullshit a line both used in this film and Full Metal Jacket
IMDB: 8.6
RT: 78%




2. The Prestige (2006) - I actually had a spoilerific post about this movie, so I'll just keep it short.
Chirstian Bale and Hugh Jackman are rival magicians who sacrifice much for their art. Their porformances are superb, especially Bale, who may have a terrible batman voice, and is a jerk, but is still one of the greatest actors. Unlike the other higher movies on my list, it lacks humor. It is pure drama and suspense.

Told you I'd keep it short.

IMDB: 8.4
RT: 75%

And soon the winner will be revealed.

No comments:

Post a Comment